Return of Funds Policy

Withdrawal from College and Return of Title IV Funds Requirements

The federal code of regulations 34 CFR 668.22 defines the treatment of withdrawals, the calculation of earned and unearned aid, the disbursement or return of federal funds, and the timelines for each.

If you leave the College or fail to satisfactorily complete the days enrolled and scheduled to complete, you may owe federal funds that are determined to be unearned as defined by these regulations.

Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) policy

For information about our Title IV return policy, please consult this document.

Return of Title IV Funds Summary

If you withdraw from your class(es) after the drop/add period, there can be serious consequences for you. This includes the possibility of owing the College and/or the U.S. Department of Education for the portion of federal student aid calculated as unearned. It is the your responsibility to understand these possible consequences. In order to assist you, the College has developed the following summary of our Return of Title IV Funds Policy.

Federal aid earned

You earn federal student aid by attending the classes scheduled for enrollment in a semester block by completing the days scheduled to complete coursework.

Greater than 60% equals 100%

As federal aid recipient, you are considered to have earned 100% of your student aid if you complete more than 60% of the total days scheduled to complete within a semester block.

What is the length of the semester block (to determine the 60% point in time)?

For federal Return of Title IV Funds purposes, the length of a semester block and the 60% date depends on the courses enrolled start and end dates. The total number of days is counted from the start of the semester block to the end date of the last course scheduled to complete (i.e., has the latest end date), excluding scheduled breaks that are five or more consecutive days. Please note, this may be less than the full length of a semester block, which is 16 weeks.

Withdrawal from college

For federal aid purposes, we will consider you withdrawn from the College within the semester block if any of the following apply, unless you have documented that you completed the scheduled days.

  • Withdraw from all courses.
  • Withdraw from all course(s) scheduled to complete for which a grade(s) is yet to be assigned.
  • Submit a Medical Withdrawal Form to withdraw from the college because of special circumstances.
  • Receive all non-passing grades in scheduled courses.
  • Receive a non-passing grade in the last course(s) scheduled to complete, i.e., the course with the latest end date in the student’s enrollment schedule, unless the last date of attendance is at the end of the course.

Return of federal student aid funds

Per federal regulations, Maricopa District Student Financial Services must determine the amount of federal grant and/or loan assistance you earned. If less assistance is received than what was earned, you may qualify for those funds. If more assistance is received than earned, the unearned funds must be returned to the College. If the College returns funds to the government on your behalf, you will be obligated to return those funds to the College. In addition, you may owe funds directly to the federal programs, e.g., loan funds. Funds will be returned in the order below as prescribed by federal regulations, within 45 days from the date of determination that a student withdrew.

  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
  • Federal Iraq Afghanistan Grant

You will be notified:

  • within 30 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you qualify for a post-withdrawal disbursement,
  • within 30 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you owe a grant overpayment,
  • within 60 days of the date it is determined that you withdrew, if you received an excess of funds that was returned to the government by the College and you owe us money.